You are not alone! Have you ever taken your car to the mechanics and they start talking about things you never heard of? "The catalytic converter needs to be replaced", or "intake manifold needs repair". The very next thing we ask is HOW MUCH! If it's in the budget then we're good to go! Afterwards we find out how much we could have saved if we just asked around. A good mechanic will not only tell you what the problem is, but give you a simple overview of how it affects your car's performance and what it takes to replace it. At least, if you feel the need to compare prices, they equipped you with some knowledge to get you to your comfort level.
Here are some useful ideas after asking a web developer HOW MUCH.
- Are you building a custom design or using a template?
- Is my logo design and hosting included?
- What language will the site be built in?
- How we determine site completion?
- How long will it take you to build it?
- Will I be given project status reports?
- Why is your cost so low?
- Why is your cost so high?
- Will I be able to add content and images myself?
- What type of training do you offer?
- How long have you been building web sites?
- What are the payment terms?
- Do you offer a refund?
- Do you have references with phone numbers?
- Do you have a portfolio?
You should be able to open a dialogue without feeling like a fifth grader. We deal with people every day who know how to get email and connect with friends on Facebook, but that's it. Anything beyond the obvious icons on their computer screens and they devolve to a 10 year old. Remember... a good developer will answer your questions until you trust their judgement as well as their character. Although web developers are a dime-a-dozen, the ones driven to satisfy you and not just replicate, are rare. Take your time and get your comfort level.